Navigation

Victim of Morocco attack succumbs to injuries

A 25-year-old Swiss woman who was seriously injured in last week’s bomb attack on a cafe in Marrakech has died from her injuries.

This content was published on May 6, 2011 - 14:30
swissinfo.ch and agencies

The woman was on holiday with three companions when the attack on the café in the busy Djemma el-Fna square occurred.

Two of the woman’s companions, a Swiss and a Portuguese resident of Switzerland aged 25 and 23, were killed immediately. The funeral of the woman's boyfriend was held on Friday in Ticino.

Announcing the death, Swiss Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey said the fourth member of the group was still in a serious condition in hospital.

Morocco's interior ministry said three Moroccan nationals had been arrested late on Thursday over the attack which killed 17 people and injured 21.

The main suspect had loyalties to al-Qaeda and had taken six months to produce two bombs of six and nine kilograms each, the interior ministry said.

Articles in this story

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

In compliance with the JTI standards

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Change your password

Do you really want to delete your profile?