Swiss tennis star Roger Federer said he is “definitely” intending to return to top-level tennis in 2023, but he added that he had not made any concrete plans beyond his scheduled appearances at the Laver Cup and his home tournament in Basel later this year.This content was published on June 12, 2022 - 10:20
The former world number one, who will be 41 in August, has not played since July last year, when he was knocked out of Wimbledon in the quarterfinals.
Earlier this year Federer confirmed his plans to team up with Spaniard Rafa Nadal at the Laver Cup in London, before competing at the Swiss Indoors tournament.
“Yes, definitely,” Federer told the Tages-Anzeiger newspaperExternal link when asked if he wanted to return to the ATP tour in 2023. “How and where, I don’t know yet. But that would be the idea,” he said.
“I haven’t planned more than the Laver Cup and Basel yet. After Basel, the season is over anyway. It’s important for me to get fit again so that I can train fully. Once I’ve done that, I can choose how many tournaments I play and where. The Laver Cup is a good start, I don’t have to play five matches in six days. In Basel I have to be able to do that. But I’m hopeful. I’ve come a long way. I’m not far [from coming back]. The next three or four months will be crucial.”
Federer’s Laver Cup teammate Nadal demolished Norway’s Casper Ruud to claim a record-extending 14th Roland Garros crown earlier this month, and Federer was full of praise for the Spaniard’s accomplishments.
“In general, it’s just unbelievable what Rafa has achieved,” Federer said. “Pete Sampras’s record, which I beat, was 14 grand slam titles. Now Rafa has won the French Open 14 times. That’s unbelievable. I was happy for him that he did it again. Hats off to Rafa. After the tenth, 11th time, I already thought, ‘This can’t be’. He keeps raising the bar. It’s gigantic.”
Federer paired up with Nadal for their first and only doubles match together at the inaugural edition of the Laver Cup in Prague in 2017.
In compliance with the JTI standards