The new Gotthard Tunnel: in numbers
- Deutsch Eindrückliche Zahlen des neuen Gotthard-Tunnels
- Español Las impresionantes cifras del nuevo túnel del Gotardo
- Português Os números impressionantes do novo túnel do São Gotardo
- 中文 新圣哥达隧道令人惊叹的数字
- Français Les chiffres impressionnants du nouveau tunnel du Gothard
- عربي الأرقام المُبهرة لنفق الغوتهارد الجديد
- Pусский Готардский базисный тоннель: цифры и факты
- 日本語 数字で見る新ゴッタルドベーストンネル
- Italiano I numeri impressionanti della nuova galleria del Gottardo (original)
What links the Gotthard Base Tunnel to the London 2012 Olympics? Or to New York’s iconic Empire State Building? One month before the tunnel is inaugurated, swissinfo.ch brings you the extraordinary numbers that make up the world’s longest rail tunnel.
The wait has been a long one: 17 years to be precise. Now the countdown has begun and in exactly one month – June 1, 2016, the Gotthard Base Tunnel will be officially opened. The event will be attended by dignitaries from Switzerland and abroad, including heads of state and representatives from international organisations.
The new tunnel, hewn through mountain rock, will become one of the main rail links across the Alps. And it will be the longest in the world at 57 kilometres. But this is not the only impressive thing about it.
There is one stage of the building of the Gotthard Tunnel that has entered history: October 15, 2010. This was the date of the Gotthard tunnel breakthrough, deep in the eastern tunnel, between Sedrun and Faido. At 14.17 Switzerland had just completed excavating the longest railway tunnel in the world. It’s a record that’s set to stay for many years to come.
In compliance with the JTI standards
More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative
Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at email@example.com.