If you have a connection to Switzerland through your family or your partner and want to make it official by becoming Swiss yourself – this is how you can go about it.
- Deutsch Wie erhalte ich den Schweizer Pass?
- Español Cómo llegar a ser suizo
- Português Como se tornar suíço
- 中文 加入瑞士国籍：你需要知道的一切
- عربي كيف تُصبح سويسريّا؟
- Français Obtenir le passeport suisse, un parcours semé d'embûches
- Pусский Как получить швейцарский паспорт?
- 日本語 誰がスイス人になれるのか
- Italiano Come diventare svizzeri
The Swiss passport can seem difficult to get. In this ‘Switzerland Explained’ video we describe how to kickstart the application process if you’re living abroad and how to find out if you’re eligible for a fast-track application procedure.
There are three ways of becoming Swiss: by birth (having a Swiss parent), marrying a Swiss or living in Switzerland for at least ten years. Being born in Switzerland doesn’t mean you automatically get a Swiss passport.
The process can cost hundreds and even thousands of francs and takes up to around two years. You’re excluded if you’re on welfare or have a criminal record. In 2018, 42,500 people acquired Swiss citizenship – so it is doable with the right information. This video should help point you in the right direction.