Forest fires in southern Swiss Alps
This content was published on December 29, 2016
- Deutsch Waldbrände in Graubünden und im Tessin
- Español Incendios forestales en el sur los Alpes suizos
- 中文 瑞士南阿尔卑斯山区发生多起森林火灾
- عربي حرائق الغابات جنوب جبال الألب السويسرية
- Français Les incendies en Suisse italienne sont sous contrôle
- Pусский Лесные пожары в Швейцарии под контролем
- Italiano Incendi nella Svizzera italiana ora sotto controllo
More than 30 people have been evacuated from their houses due to forest fires in southern Switzerland. Strong winds and the ruggedness of the terrain are hampering efforts to contain the blaze.
The mountainous region south of the Alps hasn’t had any rain for more than a month.
Local fire brigades as well as army and civilian helicopters have been deployed to try to contain the blaze.
The local authorities have banned any open fires. A major blaze in the region destroyed about 390 hectares (963,7 acres) of forest about 20 years ago.
(Picture editor: Christoph Balsiger; text: Urs Geiser)
Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at email@example.com.