Empowering linguistic diversity in newsrooms
SWI swissinfo.ch is a team of journalists producing content in ten languages for an international audience. This multilingual work environment is inspiring and enriching but also comes with its special challenges. Take a look behind the scenes in our video and hear directly from our staff members about how they work.
- Deutsch Die sprachliche Vielfalt unserer Redaktionen
- Español La diversidad lingüística en nuestras redacciones
- Português SWI acentua diversidade linguística na mídia
- 中文 新闻编辑室里的语言多样性
- عربي تمكينًا للتنوّع اللغوي في غُـرف التحرير
- Français Favoriser la diversité linguistique dans les rédactions
- Pусский Журналистский коллектив: ставка на языковое разнообразие!
- 日本語 swissinfo.chの多様なジャーナリストたち
- Italiano Valorizzare la diversità linguistica nelle redazioni
The employees of SWI swissinfo.ch come from many parts of the world. Around 15 languages are spoken across our departments. Our journalists' perspectives and cultural backgrounds are correspondingly diverse. This opens up new opportunities when researching and monitoring the important issues and debates around the world.
SWI swissinfo.ch benefits from this diversity not just in the production of content but also in making it accessible in other languages. Not all stories can simply be translated and often require careful adaptation and editing keeping the cultural codes of the different target audiences in mind. Most articles are not published in all ten languages. Instead, our journalists choose and adapt content that is relevant to their target audience and region.
Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.