What is end-to-end encryption?
This content was published on July 11, 2016 minutes
- Deutsch Was ist End-zu-End-Verschlüsselung?
- Español ¿Qué es el cifrado de un extremo al otro?
- Português O que é um sistema “end-to-end”?
- 中文 何谓“端对端”加密？
- عربي ما هو التشفير من الطرف إلى الطرف؟
- Français Le chiffrement bout à bout, comment ça marche?
- Pусский Что такое end-to-end шифрование (2)
- 日本語 「エンドツーエンド（end-to-end）暗号化」とは何か？
- Italiano Cos’è la crittografia end-to-end?
Compared to encryption using a server, end-to-end encryption ensures that the only people who can read a message are the sender and the recipient. How does it work? (Carlo Pisani, swissinfo.ch)
Compared with the most widely used type of encryption using a server, end-to-end encryption ensures that the only people who read a message are the sender and the receiver. This is possible because with end-to-end encryption, data is encrypted with separate keys that are not stored on the server but on the client’s device.
Contact the author of this story on twitter @carlopisaniExternal link
Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.