Bulging pockets send food sales soaring
The food industry enjoyed soaring sales last year, on the back of increased consumer confidence. Sales went up by 11 per cent to just over SFr10 billion.
The Federation of Swiss Food Industries said that consumption rose by 9.9 per cent, while exports increased by more than 17 per cent.
It said that thanks to the improved Swiss economy and better performing export markets, most branches of the food industry were able to increase their turnover.
Of total sales, 84 per cent or SFr8.43 million was achieved in the domestic market with the remaining 16 per cent or SFr1.64 million made abroad.
In Switzerland, the biscuit and confectionery industries performed best, with sales up by 7.9 per cent. Chocolate also had a good year but sales of ice cream went down.
"There can be no doubt that the weather has an influence on consumption. For example, the rather fresh weather we had in the summer months caused a reduction in turnover in the ice cream industry," said Federation co-president Franz Schmid.
Commenting on consumer trends in Switzerland, Schmid said that eating habits were changing, with people eating more meals but smaller portions. "This means there is a market for new creations, like prepared meals, frozen foods and meals that can be heated up in micro-wave ovens," he said.
The Federation, which is based in Berne, groups 152 Swiss companies and 23,000 employees.
swissinfo with agencies
In compliance with the JTI standards
More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative
Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at email@example.com.